Wednesday, May 7, 2008

An Eventful Few Days

Okay, okay, I know it's been a while since I've last posted. I have good reasons for it, though.

First of all, the date with Judy went great, and, as it turns out, she left for the mainland this morning to talk with the home office of Brannigan about her internship--it seems they're really excited about her projects with artificial gravity manipulation, and are thinking about giving her a giant grant for her work. She's going to be there a good week. Perfect.

I got to know Judy a bit more on Monday. First of all, she's smart. Really, really, genius-level, rivals-the-old-doctor-level smart. It's so sexy. Her theories with gravitational compression fields are the cleanest I've seen, ever. As in, unlike every thoery that came before them, I think hers will work without grievous injury and/or death to the user and everyone in a two-mile radius.

When not at work, she seems to dress a little punk, a little gothy, and mostly eclectic. Her clothing style seems like (and I'm pretty sure this is the case, given her sleepless schedule) she has a big bin of things she likes and picks them out at random until she has a whole outfit. When I told her this, she just smiled and said, "Function before form."

Anyway, the date itself. We went out to the park out on American Steel Memorial Pier, rode the Ferris wheel, ate some cotton candy, and just pretty much had a nice, quiet, relaxing evening together in which we made out like mad whenever we were the least bit alone. Yeah, two dates (as I count the night at the diner as date one) and we're already "that" couple.

It wasn't all bright and happy, though. On the second trip up the Ferris Wheel, Judy swiped my glasses while we were making out. One of my powers isn't "super fast-thinking", so rather than keep my eyes shut, I opened them and reached for my glasses and, well, the damage was already done by then.

Much to my suprise, her response wasn't, "Eeeek!", but rather, "Cool! How do you get them to glow like that? New contacts?"

I stared at her in disbelief before I replied with, "It was an...industrial accident, when I was a teen."

She didn't buy it, but let it slide. "Cool. You look like a super villain or something."

I tried to laugh nonchalantly and snatched back my glasses. "I'd cover them with contacts, but they just shine through. These glasses are especially made to absorb that wavelength of red."

"What about contacts made of that stuff?" She responded. I shook my head.

"Makes my eyes pitch black."

She looked thoughtful. "You know, with those eyes you look almost like Bulldozer. Only more handsome."

I nearly twitched when she meantioned Bulldozer. In case you haven't figured it out, that was my identity when I worked for the old boss. I know, not obvious at all, right? Not sure whether I felt insulted or flattered, I laughed, hugged her, and did my best to distract her.

So, after the date I came back, and I'd been working non-stop until, oh, about an hour ago. About then, all my hard work and my little Brannigan rampage paid off.

As I'm typing this, I'm in my new device, and, just as I'm typing, I'm switching it on.

New Vineyard Weather Forecast--one hundred percent chance of Cataclysm.

No comments:

Post a Comment