Friday, August 22, 2008

A Small Reunion

I was afraid this would happen.

About three in the morning last night, I woke because of a flickering light on my face. When I opened my eyes, there was a petite twenty year old girl with short red hair standing over my bed with a large, flaming axe. This redhead had a maniacal look in her eyes and said axe was raised with intent to kill.

"God damnit Eliza." I muttered, shoving her away from the bed casually. "Learn to knock."

She smiled, rushed to me, and hugged me when I sat up. "Big brother! You know I would never stab you."

"Only because you can't." I replied. This happens every time she shows up. Even with that magic axe and most of the powers of the the angel of death, she can't quite pierce my skin. Sometimes she says its because of the ceramic in my body. Other times she says she can't because I'm her elder sibling and she's forbidden from re-enacting Cain and Abel by the very divine spirit that empowers her. It makes me the only relative she can actually visit without attempting to murder.

"I will someday." She said. She meant it, too. I'm pretty sure Eliza Ferrian, also known as Hatchet, will be the death of me some day. Literally.

"Eliza. What did you do with my girlfriend?" I asked, just now noticing Judy wasn't where she had been when we went to sleep.

"I tied her up and locked her in the closet, and told her I'd kill her after I was done with you." She replied as if she was talking about doing the dishes or some other slightly unpleasant chore.

"Not again. Come on, let's get her out of there and we can, I dunno, get some pizza or something."

Judy was not exactly thrilled at her encounter with my sister. Oh well, I warned her. Mostly, she was confused by Eliza. Because after untying her, she acted as if nothing wierd or wrong had happened. And she was mostly normal, except when she tried to kill the pizza delivery guy. I stopped her, because, well, watching Eliza kill someone is not a very appetizing precursor to a meal.

That's what people don't get, and that's what's so heartbreaking about Eliza's condition. She just doesn't think it's wrong to kill people. She's a nice, sweet girl, she hates lying, and used to go to church twice a week--hell, she might still. But murder? Murder's a thing she does. She doesn't have a reason. She doesn't have a motive. She doesn't need them. She just murders. I'm not even sure she enjoys it. There's just this inhuman drive in her that makes her kill.

I think Judy's starting to get that as well. Eliza said she's missed me, so she's going to be hanging around here a few days. There's really nothing I can do about it, either. I mean, she's a Scarlet Sorceress villain. As strong and crafty as I am, I just can't compete with that. And, also, she has the whole, "not bound by the laws or traps of man" things going on, being half angel.

More later if I'm still alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment